Facts about Feet That People Should Know
If you do not normally pay a lot of attention to your feet, it is important that you start because keeping them healthy is a must. Your feet are what support your body weight and take you where you need to go, yet a lot of people neglect this part of their body.
Learning about the importance of healthy feet will help you make some positive changes and you will be able to develop healthy habits and take better care of your feet as a result. The following are some basic facts about feet that everyone should know about:
- There are many structural elements that come together to hold the foot together and their combination allows a foot to move in various ways. Each foot contains 33 joints and 26 bones and over 100 muscles, tendons and ligaments.
- Wearing the right footwear is extremely important, so make sure to buy the proper shoes. They must be properly fitted, so measure your feet and try on different sizes to select the best pair. Shoes should have arch support and cushioning so that they can support your feet, so do not choose fashion over comfort because this will negatively affect the health of your feet.
- Ankle sprains, corns, calluses, nail problems and plantar fasciitis are the most common ailments of the foot.
- Purchase shoes that are suitable for your type of feet. In addition to different sizes, people also have different widths when it comes to their feet and a lot of brands make shoes that cater to these aspects, so you can find comfortable shoes that are meant for your feet. Shoes that have narrow or pointed toe boxes should be avoided because they often lead to foot problems and pain.
- Your feet must be washed daily. Standing in the shower is not enough and you must wash your entire foot with soap and dry them completely once you’re done. Make sure to dry in between your toes as well and apply moisturizer to keep your feet clean and soft. This habit will prevent bacteria and will maintain the health of your skin.
- Trim your toenails straight across and avoid cutting them in curves. It is also important that you do not cut them too short because the right techniques will reduce the risk of ingrown toenails.
- Wear the right socks. Feet get sweaty and require a breathable environment to remain healthy. Socks that are made of natural fibres like cotton are ideal, so choose them over synthetic materials.
Elite Foot Care can ensure your feet are healthy and we will gladly provide you with additional care tips! We are a clinic in Edmonton who specializes in diabetic foot care, so if you have any questions or concerns regarding your feet, give us a call today!